Sunday, March 16, 2008

Banana Orange Cake





This wasn't the first time I baked a banana cake, but I would say this was by far the most successful banana orange cake I ever baked.



I chose to use a round baking tray this time thus the baking time was over 1 hour compare to the normal 45 minutes. The cake turned out to be very fluffy, moist and the fragrant was fantastic. Matt gave it 2 thumbs up, so did my colleagues at work :)

This ia called a Banana Orange Cake because I used a banana cake recipe then added some grated orange zest and fresh orange juice.

Banana Orange Cake
250gm SR flour
220gm sugar (I used only 180gm and it was sweet enough)
240gm butter
5 eggs
1 tbsp condensed milk (I used skim milk and it was fine)
2 tbspn fresh orange juice
3 bananas
Orange zest (you have to determine the amount, I used 80% of one medium orange)

Beat butter and sugar together till it is white and creamy, mix in eggs, blend flour in slowly.

Add in milk and juice, then banana. You have to mash the banana, but I never over mash them as I like the banana cake with chunks of banana in them :p.

Grate orange zest into mix.

Coat the baking tray with some oil or butter and pour the mixture in. Bake for 45 mins - 1 hour at 180 degrees, depending what type of baking tray you want to use.

You may want to start checking if the cake is ready once it reaches 45 mins by poking the centre with a fork, if the fork comes out clean, it means the cake is ready. :)

P.S. Of course, you can simply void the orange bits to bake just a banana cake, replace the orange juice by another 1 tbspn of skim milk.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi.

Just wanted to leave you a line to say I made the banana-orange combination for one of the layers of a cake I baked for my colleagues. It turned out great, so thanks. :)

Ellie said...

Hi! thank you soo much for sharing this great recipe. I have just made it and it is delicious. Your recipe is thorough and easy to follow. you are a top girl!
Ellie
Brisbane, Australia