Friday, February 27, 2009

Deadly Choc Cookies

Wow, I just realised I haven't posted any food posts for a LONG LONG time. I have been cooking and baking a lot, but I jsut didn't have time to sit in front of the computer to blog about them. All because of HER




Anyway, I need something very sinful a couple of days ago, and I wanted to try out my new oven. So I baked some deadly choc cookies, I used the recipe from Nigella's Express. You can get the recipe from her website :)


INGREDIENTS
125g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
150g flour
30g cocoa, sieved
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
125g soft butter
75g light brown sugar (I used 50g)
50g white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, cold from the fridge
350g (2 bags) semi-sweet chocolate morsels or dark chocolate chips ( I used 250g)
Also I added 2 Ts of milk to the mixture in the end.

Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3. Melt the 125g dark chocolate either in the microwave or in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water.

Put the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.

Cream the butter and sugars in another bowl. (I use my freestanding mixer, itself an odd source of comfort to me.) Add the melted chocolate and mix together.

Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the chocolate morsels or chips.

Scoop out 12 equal-sized mounds (I made more than 20, I think I made about 20 by using a normal teaspoon)– an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are the best tools for the job – and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. Do not flatten them.

Cook for 18 minutes, testing with a cake tester to make sure it comes out semi-clean and not wet with cake batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again.

Leave to cool slightly on the baking sheet for 4–5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.
Verdict:
The cookies were yummy and not TOO sweet. So my colleagues who are on Weightwatchers had a piece and glad that it wasn't as 'deadly' as she thought it would be. :p
I kept a few pieces in my drawer at work, in case I have the sudden choc craving again!

No comments: